Our Centenary

Old YardThe Lost Dogs’ Home has come a long way since the doors were first opened as ‘The Temporary Home for Lost and Starving Dogs’ at Gracie Street in North Melbourne on 28 February 1913. One hundred years on and we’re now Australia’s largest animal shelter, caring for more than 31,000 dogs and cats every year.

The idea to establish the Home was introduced in 1910, when a concerned and influential group of individuals formed a committee to raise funds for a permanent shelter in which to house Melbourne’s lost and starving dogs.

Today, The Lost Dogs’ Home stands tall on the Australian animal welfare landscape. We have faced a few battles along the way, but we are now stronger for the challenges we have overcome. They have helped us earn our reputation as a leading advocate for animal welfare and responsible pet ownership.

Thanks to the generous support of the community over the years, we now provide a wide range of animal welfare and community education services.

We have accomplished an enormous amount over the past century – providing care and shelter for tens of thousands of abandoned animals, reuniting pets with their owners and nurturing injured and ill-treated animals back to health. There is still much to do, but with the continued assistance of donors, supporters, and our dedicated team of staff and volunteers – we will keep fighting for a better deal for animals without owners, well into the future.

As we commemorate our 100th birthday on February 28, 2013, this milestone provides an ideal opportunity to celebrate how far we have come, reflect on the difference we have made and eagerly anticipate what the future holds.

Click here to visit The Lost Dogs’ Home – Centenary Historical Website